space traveling warriors tier list : Body of 6-year-old boy found after deadly fishing trip in Merrimack River – NBC Boston

The body of 6-year-old Mas DeChat, who drowned in the Merrimack River during a family fishing trip, has been found, authorities confirmed Sunday.

According to the Newburyport Fire Department, Mas’s body was found shortly after 1 pm. on the river near Newburyport.

Mas’ mother, Boua DeChat, 29 from Lowell, drowned after swimming in the river’s fast current on Thursday to try to save him and his 7-year-old sister, Massachusetts state police said Saturday.

The DeChat family – Boua, her husband and their four children – were fishing on Deer Island in the river when, at around 7 pm on Thursday, they entered the water, Newburyport firefighters and police said. The mother and daughter entered after him, but were caught in a strong current.

The rescue operation switched to one focused on recovery on Friday. The US Coast Guard suspended its search later that day after combing 228 square miles for 69 hours; state and local law enforcement continued the search Saturday.

Authorities continue to search the Merrimack River in Newburyport on Friday for a missing 6-year-old boy.

The initial fishing incident near Whittier Bridge

The DeChat family at the center of the tragic accident were fishing and swimming at Deer Island, a recreational area on the Merrimack River between Amesbury and Newburyport and near the Whittier Bridge, which carries Interstate 95 over the river, officials said. Police initially said they were involved in a boating accident, but this turned out to be false.

The father of the family, the husband of 31-year-old Boua, went to his car around 7pm to get something, which is when Mason, the missing boy, fell into the water while trying to grab something and was swept away by the water. current, officials said.

Boua, who could not swim, and her 7-year-old daughter entered the river to help save him, but they were also caught in the strong current, according to the Massachusetts State Police. The father, returning from the car, saw Boua and daughter in the water and jumped after them, but could not reach them and also had problems; he was able to return to shore.

The current carried Boua and her daughter inland under Whittier Bridge, where a person on a boat saw them struggling and managed to pull them out, officials said. But the woman had trouble getting on the boat and went underwater.

Newburyport firefighters say the incident involves a family of six who were fishing on Deer Island.

Boua and her mother were taken to Anna Jacques Hospital in Newburyport; the girl was treated and released, but Boua, who rescuers found unresponsive and not breathing, was pronounced dead.

The search for the missing boy

All other family members are accounted for except Mason, the 6-year-old boy, who rescuers were unable to find. A massive search effort continued throughout Friday. The Coast Guard suspended its search at 5 pm, awaiting further information.

“It’s always a difficult decision to suspend a search and rescue case, and even more painful when children are involved,” said Captain Kailie Benson, Commander of the Boston Coast Guard Sector. “Considering the extensive search efforts by the Coast Guard and numerous state and local agencies, along with site conditions, I have made the decision to suspend the search for the missing 6-year-old boy.”

“Our prayers are with the boy and mother’s family and friends during this time,” added Benson.

Massachusetts State Police had said they would resume the search on Saturday after spending 10 hours looking for the boy on Friday.

The search included the Coast Guard, port captains, state police, local police and firefighters from across the region, and state environmental police. The response included 10 Massachusetts State Police divers, and helicopters were seen scouring the area.

The search focused on the part of the river where Boua and her daughter were pulled from the water, according to state police. Divers were using sonar and being towed by boats to look for Mason.

Newburyport Fire Chief Christopher LeClaire gives the latest update on the fishing incident that left a woman dead and her 6-year-old son missing in the Merrimack River.

Newburyport Fire Chief Christopher LeClaire said the search efforts would continue until noon on Friday, before authorities reevaluate them and decide whether to move from a rescue to a recovery.

“We continue to search,” he said Friday morning. “Over time, the chances of recovery decrease. We believe that we will be in recovery mode soon.”

He said the strong current in the river presented challenges in the search effort.

A bridge to Deer Island on the Merrimack River, where rescuers searched for a boy who disappeared while fishing and swimming with his family on Thursday, June 9, 2022.

LeClaire on Thursday night described conditions on Deer Island at the time Mason disappeared and Boua and his daughter entered the water behind him as typical, noting the rapid pace of the river and the rocky ledge.

“It’s used a lot this time of year. People are known to fish along the shoreline along Deer Island,” he said.

Numerous first-aid vehicles could be seen parked along a bridge on Thursday night as several boats were in the water and state police and Coast Guard helicopters flew overhead.

The search for the 6-year-old continues.

NBC10 Boston spoke to a woman who lives nearby and she said her husband also got into his kayak Thursday night to help look for the child after he realized what was going on.

“My husband was here with the dog, and I was like, why is it taking so long? And then all of a sudden he’s yelling at me, and he’s talking about a woman and CPR,” said Sue Bajko. “Saí and two fishermen came to our dock here on their boat and got the woman and her daughter off the boat and did CPR.”

Len Johnson, a lifelong Amesbury resident who lives along the river, said, “God help you if you fall into the river, the current can wash you away in a heartbeat.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.